Thursday, September 25, 2008

Schoolhouse Rocks--or Knowledge is Power

Like most people, I've spent the past couple of weeks scraping my jaw off the floor as the Republican Spin Machine has gerrymandered about, scooping up tough-as-nails moose hunters and then sequestering them from scrutiny and questioning until they've adequately "crammed" for the final exam. Most of the people who already bought the load are thrilled with this "country first" choice. Some are uneasy because they realize that 40 days is a long time to try to duck and dodge an increasingly furious media who realizes it was played by the whole "don't be sexist to our candidate by actually asking her questions" move. And a whopping 18% is, according to recent polls, still undecided. I ask you: in these times, with the economy and war and abortion and all the other galvanizing issues, how can anyone still be on the fence? Or is "undecided" just code for "I'm not comfortable admitting that I won't vote for a Black man"?

Anyway, there are plenty of excellent blogs addressing daily happenings (I'm a particular fan of the "other" CNN--The Collin News Network--and Seth Abramson's blog, but I thought I'd post these figures about the education (or lack thereof) of these particular candidates. I don't know about you, but I want a President and VP who have had at least as much educational experience as I have--if not a lot more.



Obama:

Occidental College: Two years studying Politics and Public Policy
Columbia University: B.A.Political Science, specialization in International Relations
Harvard University: Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude, Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Law Review


Biden:

University of Delaware: B.A. in History & B.A. in Political Science
Syracuse University College of Law : Juris Doctor (J.D.)


McCain:

U.S. Naval Academy: Graduate--Class rank 894 of 899

Palin:

Hawaii Pacific Univ: 1 semester, Business Administration
North Idaho College: 2 semesters, general study
University of Idaho 2 semesters, Journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College: 1 semester
University of Idaho: 3 semesters, B.A. Journalism


A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

4 comments:

Oliver de la Paz said...

I'm so scared of what this says about our country. Nice comparison, SLB.

Collin Kelley said...

My mission in life at the moment is to make sure McPalin does not become president. Much more to come.

stacebro said...

Godspeed, Collin. Holler if you need supplies.

Collin Kelley said...

As Zevon sang...send lawyers, guns and money. :)